1.10.2011

Day 9 - Pumpkin Cottage


Last year, when I was working on The Stocking that I was making for my daughter for Christmas, Country Cottage Needleworks came out with the adorable pattern, Pumpkin Cottage.  I don't know exactly why, but I just fell in love with it.  I think it was the colors.  Anyway, I knew that I just couldn't start it until The Stocking was finished, but I did go buy the pattern and floss and tuck it away in a mesh bag as a "prize" for when The Stocking was complete.  Of course the Crazy January Challenge was then announced and I decided to join, so Pumpkin Cottage became just one of a group of starts - rather than the enjoyable "stitch until it's finished" that I had planned on.  For that reason, I hadn't started it yet during the challenge.  I felt like it deserved better.  Isn't that silly?  Especially when I was sick, I just couldn't *not* enjoy it while I was stitching on it.  I thought maybe I would leave it until last, but yesterday I realized that it *was* the last week of the challenge - already!  So I pulled out my fabric, attached it to the scroll bars of my new lap stand and sat down to enjoy a day of stitching and to celebrate feeling so much better.  I wasn't quite up to going to church yet, so between making meals and cleaning up the kitchen, taking the dogs out and taking a nap, I was able to make some pretty good progress.  I'm *really* enjoying my new lap stand!  Of course, I did make a mistake... my house is one line too short.  But it was way back at the beginning of my stitching and there was no way I was going to frog all that work.  So I'll just work around it.  It won't be perfect, but it will be mine. :-)  I'm loving the colors.  They are so soft and warm and fall-ish.  I'm working it on 28 ct Monaco - maybe called Mushroom?  I don't remember.  But it is just the perfect color.  I'm going to have a hard time leaving this for the week, while I work on my other starts.  Sigh.  I so look forward to finishing them all!!

I hope to get around to comment on everyone's work this week.  I might be a little pressed for time, though, as I didn't do anything much last week while I was sick, and now I have the year end things to do for my GraceWorks business.  Thank you all so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments!  You are such an encouragement to me!!

Blessings,

 

14 comments:

Marcy said...

I love fall patterns -- and this is such a pretty one.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Vonna said...

Lovely start :) One of my favorite patterns~!

gracie said...

It is a nice pattern. I can't wait to get back to the ones started ...I plan to rotate some...maybe finish one or two quickly...who knows!

Mouse said...

OOO its lovely :) , so glad that you finally enjoyed stitching it and one line short no probs you've got a "smaller cottage " hehehe so you will have to duck when entering ..lol glad to hear you are feeling better than you was:) and hasn't time flown by with the challenge .... love mouse xxxx

Niina said...

Oh I think I'm falling in love right now :) It looks so vibrant that I want do it too!

Carol said...

I've just gone back and looked through all of your starts for the challenge, Tricia. What a wonderful variety of pieces--they all look like very relaxing pieces to stitch, too...

Looking forward to seeing your progress on all :) Stay well now...

Valda said...

Wonderful start! I love the colors on this one too!

blueladie said...

Tricia, I LOVE your post and explanation and I love your Pumpkin Cottage it is pretty and I'm sure whenever you stitch on it, it will be enjoyable. TFS! :) Cathryn

Cyndi said...

Very pretty! I have this one on my to-do list also

Sharyn said...

I so enjoyed looking at all of your challenge starts, Tricia! Will be looking forward to seeing your finishes. I also enjoyed your blog and visiting your stamping blog as well. One of my goals this yr is to learn stamping, where do I start?

Sharyn :-)

DJ said...

Very pretty start!! I love the colors too! I understand about wanting it to be a "special start" because I felt that way about a couple of mine, but then I thought, I can work on them continuously until they are finished, once my 15 starts are done. Can't wait to see how this one turns out! *Hugs*

Milly~ said...

Off to a great start Tricia. Glad you're feeling better too.

Joy said...

Love your pieces Tricia!! You are making wonderful progress! I am having a ball with this challenge & ready to work on finishing! LOL Glad you are feeling better!

Scattered Threads said...

Hey there Tricia darling.
Didn't know you were ill as I have not been in the loop; but I am glad you are better.
I love all your crazy challenge starts and you will absolutely enjoy stitching Pumpkin Cottage. It's one of those I can't put down pieces.
Look forward to see your progress on all your pieces.
Hugs and continue to feel better.
Jackie