2.26.2012

On target and a Yiota's Cross Stitch Review

Hello friends!

I've taken little bits of time to stitch this past week and really feel like I've accomplished a lot.  This coming week I'll need to concentrate on a few things to meet my February goals, though.  I'd like to have this page of the Dimensions Cabin 2/3 done, finish my February ornament, and make some sort of sewn or quilted project by Friday.  It's too bad that I can't sit and stitch all day this week, but I seem to have some other deadlines this week that are a little more important than cross stitch! : )

Let's start with yesterday... my daughter brought in this long-awaited parcel from www.yiotas-xstitch.com.


I say "long-awaited" not because it was slow in shipping, I think it came from the UK in 5 days, but because I knew it would be coming in February and I didn't know when, so I was thrilled to finally see it!  You'll see the Post Office didn't quite get the "do not bend" idea, but that's ok - it was well packaged and not damaged, and  (drum roll, please) out came my pattern...


After looking closely at other reviews and at the patterns themselves online, I realized that these cross stitch kits from Yiota's were not going to be as detailed as, say, the HAED ones.  That was OK with me, as those have so many color changes to achieve that look that they can be overwhelming.  But, because of that I chose a piece that I would love even if there wasn't a lot of shading.  Let me show you what I mean....

This is a corner of the picture on the front of the pattern.  Do you see that there are definite lines in the color changes in the sky?  It isn't a problem at all and it going to be so fun to stich, but it can be different than you'd expect just by looking at the patterns online.


Here's how the kit was packaged...


Don't you just love those bobbins?  I put them on a ring and started to work right away.  I didn't use the enclosed 14 count aida - although it was soft and would work just fine - but after working on "Eye on the Sparrow" I decided that I would like to try to stitch this over one instead.  (I should've just gotten it with the evenweave, but I figured it would all be covered and wouldn't really matter which I stitched it on.)  The pattern is "large print" - the symbols are twice as big as the Dimensions kit pattern that I've been working from - so it seems like it will be very easy to work from.  Here's as far as I got in my little chunk of time I allotted to it...


Now when I got to this point and shot the picture I realized that the length of my fabric was going horizontally across my lap, rather than vertically.  AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH.  Well, I measured carefully, and because I'd left so much on each side, I can continue and it will still fit, I'll just only have an inch or so on the bottom when I'm done.  I know most of you die hard stitchers would have frogged it and restarted, but I can't stand frogging unless there is no other way around it, so I choose to pretend I meant to do it in the first place.

Anyway, keep watching to see my progress!  I'd love to have this done by Christmas, as I really want to add it to my decorations!

Whew!  Long post!  OK - here's a group shot of all my other projects.  Maybe you'll notice some progress on a few of them!


And there you have it!  

Thanks so much for stopping by, and HAPPY STITCHING!

14 comments:

Catherine said...

I have seen a bunch of reviews for these kits - and each one has been of a different piece! Cute pups on the one you chose! Your projects are coming along!

Carol said...

I'm glad your stitching will work out for your new piece in spite of stitching it in the wrong directions, Tricia!! That looks like a fun one to stitch...

Nice progress on a wide variety of projects--I just love that little ornament in the front corner :)

Shirlee said...

A very nice review for a very nice kit! Blessings, Shirlee

CalamityJr said...

What a fun design you chose. What could be better than a puppy chorus?! I'll enjoy watching your progress on this one, I'm sure.

Denise SA said...

Looks like these kits are really well packaged. I would not have frogged either.

Thoeria said...

Glad that you don't have to frog your piece! I tihnk we've all done that (started the wrong way) before - atleast I know I have :) - just not all of us are as lucky as not to have to frog it! Look forward to seeing your pups "grow"

mdgtjulie said...

Looking good Tricia. Keep up the good work. And I LOVE your kit. It's darling!

Julie said...

Nice kit you chose to review, Will enjoy etching your progress.

Sally said...

You chose a lovely kit Tricia. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Looks like you've made some good progress on your WIPs :)

DJ said...

Oh my Dear, you've joined the ranks of the "over one stitchers"...good for you!! I'm excited to watch your progress. What a cute pattern!! Love the progress on your other projects too, Cabin Fever especially has caught my eye. I love how you wrote your review!! Yiota will be pleased! *Hugs*

Jennifer M. said...

Lovely projects you are working on. It seems Yiota's kits are getting great reviews amongst many blogging stitchers. I particularly love that the threads are already on bobbins. Amen to that! LOL

Jen :)

Joy said...

Cute pattern Tricia! I don't know anything about them, but I wish you the best. Great progress on your WIPs!

SoCal Debbie said...

Great review! I also got a Yiota's kit to review last year. I also started a different piece with the fabric going the wrong way, but I'll have to frog it all. Boo! It's nice to see all your different projects!

Sarah said...

Wow you have been busy. Great review of a lovely kit you have some great pieces on the go.